Located in the City Hall compound, just outside the City Hall of Surigao, the “site of the first Philippine Flag raising in Mindanao” honored by the National Historical Institute, as a historic spot in 2000, has become one of the few attractions in the city.
Although it is not as magnificent as the other tourist attractions in Surigao, the “site of the first Philippine Flag raising in Mindanao” gives a glimpse of how patriotic our ancestors were.
Must be followed by the new generation of Filipinos, the nationalism of its roots will bring back the glory days of the country.
On the written facts found in the tablet placed at the base of the flag, one can read this:
“In Casa Real in the town of Surigao, the Capital of the province of Surigao (formerly Caraga), Jesus Alejandro “Jantoy” Gonzalez, President of the Provincial Board of Surigao and the other leaders of the third district of Mindanao, officially raised for the first time on the morning of December 26, 1898, the flag of the Philippines in Mindanao.”