Considered by many as one of the most miraculous shrines in the Philippines, The Archdiocesan Shrine of Divine Mercy in Divine Mercy Hills has a 50-foot Statue of the Divine Mercy Christ. It is overlooking Macajalar Bay and serves as a pilgrimage site for the devotees of the Divine Mercy.
The Archdiocesan Shrine of Divine Mercy is a sacred place. Visitors are not allowed to wear shorts and other revealing clothing such as sleeveless shirts, spaghetti, tube, etc. Because of the shrine’s growing popularity, it is visited by both locals and foreigners and is now considered as a tourist attraction in the island of Mindanao. Since most of the tourists don’t know the dress code, they are forced to cover themselves with a blue or red cloth provided by the Divine Mercy Shrine guards.
The Divine Mercy Shrine is managed by the Divine Mercy Foundation of Mindanao Philippines, Inc. It is located in PSB-Ulaliman, El Salvador, Misamis Oriental. The Archdiocesan Shrine of Divine Mercy was inaugurated last September 8, 2008 concurrent to the birthday of the Blessed Virgin Mary by Archbishop Antonio J. Ledesma, D.D. On its first and second year, Archbishop Ledesma was the main celebrant and the activities during those celebration include Film Showing, Coronation & Mañanita, Floral Offering, Procession and of course the Holy Mass.
Inside the Divine Mercy Shrine, silence is observed. Respecting this place of worship, prayer and meditation is encouraged. An orientation room is found near the entrance gate and guard house. There are also candle stands located halfway going to the Divine Mercy Statue. Folks who stay at the parking area sell candles at P25 each.
The Design of the Divine Mercy
The halo of the 50-foot Divine Mercy Statue is a stained glass. The blood and water which flowed out from the heart of Jesus is an alternate of stained glass and tiles. At the heart is a hidden niche with a life size statue of Saint Sister Faustina. At the base are engraved lettering which read “JESUS I TRUST IN YOU” and a cascading water. The healing chapel is also found at the base of the Divine Mercy Statue. On one side is the little-larger-than-life statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Schedule of Masses, Confession and Other Activities
Rosary – 2:30 pm
3 o’clock Prayer and DM Chaplet Chanting – 3:00 pm to 3:30 pm
Evening Prayer / Vesper – Right after Holy Mass
Monday to Friday – 3:30 pm
Saturday – 8:00 am, 4:00 pm
Sunday – 10:00 am, 3:00 pm
Monday to Friday – 2:30pm
Saturday – 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
Facts and Figures of the Divine Mercy Shrine
- Atty. Guerrero A. Adaza – is the President of the Divine Mercy Foundation of Mindanao (Phils), Inc. since 2000 to June 12, 2009.
- His Vice-President was Mrs. Liza R. Olano
- His Executive Director was Mrs. Paquita G. Adaza, now the incumbent President, Mrs. Victoria B. Neri is her Vice-President.
- First Project Director of the Divine Mercy Statue was Director Domingo C. Dayot, who died in office; and a Hall in the shrine was named Dayot Hall, for his dedicated services to God.
- Mr. Vlodemir A. Gabe, was the second Project Director of the Divine Mercy Statue.
- The Original Area of Divine Mercy Hills is 9.8 hectares
- The Purchase Price of Divine Mercy Hills including taxes is P8,500,000.00
- The Present Area including the Parking Areas is 11.8 hectares
- Price of Divine Mercy Hills was fully paid after two years from the date of first installment.
- Master Planner and Architect – PALAFOX ASSOCIATES, Makati City
- Divine Mercy Statue Sculptor, Mr. Nick Reyes, Fine Arts Graduate in UP, is from Angeles City, Pampanga
- Professional Fee of Mr. Nick Reyes is P250,000.00
- Cost of Healing Chapel is P5,000,000.00
- Cost of Divine Mercy Statue is P22,000,000.00
- Cost of Well, which is 280 feet – P250,000.00, done by Gintong Tubig of Cagayan de Oro
- Site of the Divine Mercy Statue and proposed Divine Mercy Church is 1 hectare, was donated by the Divine Mercy Foudation of Mindanao Phils, Inc. to the Archdiocese of Cagayan de Oro on September 2, 2004.
- In House Architect – Architect Tara G. Rico
- Supervising Engineer – Engineer Eduardo R. Quijano
- Supervising Foreman – Engineer Remy Noknok Dayot
For more information about the Divine Mercy Shrine contact Divine Mercy Hills Office at cellular phone number (+63)908-4375762 or visit their website at http://www.divinemercyhills.com. Alternatively you can visit the Divine Mercy Foundation of Mindanao (Phils.), Inc. at G & P Adaza, Nemesito Chavez Village Bayabas, Cagayan de Oro City or contact them at cellular phone number (+63)929-5468052 or email them at email@example.com.This page is last updated on